Taper Trauma

The end is in sight and I have already started the hardest part of my marathon training - the taper.  So why is this the hardest part of my training?  It's the time when I get to reduce my mileage and load up on carbs right?

But having a bit more spare time gives you time to think.  Have I done enough training?  Can I feel any niggles in my legs that were not there before?  My body is itching to go out and push myself further.    It's a really difficult time - I'm trying to avoid being in the same room with anyone with a hint of a cold (bit difficult in a crowded city like London), every journey and task is a potential injury trap - the last think I need now is a twisted ankle, stubbed toe - anything that could interfere with race day.  And all the time your mind plays tricks with you as you run over the training you have clocked - could I have fitted in more speed sessions, should I have done one more 20 mile long run, am I ready for this?  From now on in it's all a mental game as I flick through the running journal I started at the beginning of my training and remind myself that I have managed to clock up some impressive weekly miles and some good quality runs.


Everything I read, everyone I talk to reminds me that the taper is important in order to properly bank this mileage and allow my body to recover it's spring so that I am at optimum fitness on race day.   I'm trying to distract myself by doing a bit of cross training - gentle swimming, a pilates class.  I have a last sports massage booked 10 days before race day to sort out any l niggles and allow my body time to recover and I have also booked a chiropodist appointment as running has taken it's toll on my once pretty toenails which are now blackened and don't look like they belong to me anymore!

I plan to get to the marathon expo on opening day - a benefit of living in London.  I can't wait to pick up my race pack and pin my number to my running vest and begin to pack my bag for the day.  I also picked up a few of my favourite gels at the marathon expo last year (if there actually is such a thing as a favourite gel!) and details of lots of other inspiring races and running kit, so I can't wait to just spend a few hours indulging myself in all things running!

My plan for the few days before the marathon is to ensure that I take on board plenty of fluids so I am fully loaded for race day and that I eat plenty of carbs and lastly, busy family home allowing, ensure I get lots of sleep.

I plan to travel to the start by train, it was very straightforward last year and went very smoothly.  The charity I am running for, ShootingStar-Chase, has arranged coaches to take runners to the start but I want to travel on my own and just focus on my own thoughts and my race strategy.  At the end of the race, like many charities, they have booked some rooms nearby for runners to change, have a massage and have something to eat with their families - I'll definitely be doing this, and treating myself to a large glass of red wine to celebrate.

Although I have my own place in the marathon I am still fundraising for ShootingStar-Chase because they support my youngest daughter, Daisy, she's life limited with a very rare and debilitating genetic disease and she's ultimately the inspiration for my running - running keeps me sane with all the stress of life looking after a medically complex child and the respite breaks we get through the hospice mean I get some time to myself occasionally, mainly to race and run!

Last weekend I put together a big pre-marathon fundraising event for our hospice as an alternative to just asking people to sponsor me.  I rented a local church hall and arranged for some local businesses to set up stalls selling crafts, plants and gifts, we had a cake stall and some therapists offering mini treatments as well as serving refreshments.  In all I raised £1,000 for the charity so despite the hard work I was really pleased and it smashed my fundraising target so I feel very happy to be running the marathon knowing that I have also managed to raise some funds for my charity.


The next blog update I write will be my race review - as everyone who reads this blog knows, my hope is for a sub 4-hour marathon time.  I missed out last year by 19 seconds .  I know I can do it, I have put in some good quality training and have achieved some PBs in recent races, I'm focused and up for the challenge but as we saw with Mo Farah at the New York Half Marathon, you cannot predict what will happen on race day - all I can do is give it my best shot , and most importantly enjoy the day.  Virgin London Marathon 2014 - Bring it on!

Comments

Popular Posts